Skip to content ↓

Fullhurst Community College

Year 8 boys football match report vs Samworth Tudor Grange - 19.09.17

On Tuesday 19 September, the year 8 football team were taken to New College Leicester for a fixture against Samworth Tudor Grange School. This was the year 8’s first fixture of the season and the anticipation amongst the students was building.

Eager to begin their first match, the boys faced an uphill task in the first half (literally!), however Fullhurst started the opening five minutes brightly. Manase controlled the game from the middle of the park, distributing the ball into wide areas where Blaike and Alfie worried Samworth’s fullbacks. After an excellent opening to the game Fullhurst gained their rewards, a brilliant finish by Oliver capped off some neat and intricate play in the midfield by Sam, Manase and Fletcher. Once Fullhurst took the lead the boys relaxed and played like the game was already won, sloppy in possession and allowing Samworth to dictate the game. Around the 20 minute mark Samworth got their reward with a scrappy goal after Fullhurst failed to clear their lines. The equaliser encouraged Samworth further and they then went on to grab the lead just before half time with some excellent football.

Score at half-time: Samworth Tudor Grange 2 – 1 Fullhurst Community College

Half time arrived and Mr Fearn gave a rousing team talk and asked Fullhurst to press higher up the pitch, take care of the ball much better and be first to the second balls. In the second half, Samworth continued to be dominant, particularly finding space down both sides of Fullhurst’s flanks. Second half pressure from Samworth forced a number of good saves from goalkeeper Tyler and stoute defending from Ryan, Dan and Alend.  A crucial clearance from Eric ensured the score stayed at 2-1 and that Fullhurst were still in the game.  Substitutes Robin, Michael and Yad came on to freshen up a tiring Fullhurst team, adding to the defensive solidity of the team.  A rare second half venture into the Samworth half for Fullhurst resulted in a goal from Fletcher, some neat footwork on the edge of the box created the chance and Fletcher buried it into the corner of the goal to equalise!

The equaliser spurred Fullhurst on and Ryan showed composure to slide the ball to Fletcher who then released Oliver to finish exquisitely past the keeper. The final five minutes of the game required even more stoute defending from Fullhurst and another excellent save from Tyler kept the score at 3-2 to Fullhurst.

All students put up excellent performances and showed tremendous respect towards Samworth.

Man of the match: Manase

Fullhurst Community College

Fullhurst Community College
Imperial Avenue

tel: 0116 282 4326
fax: 0116 282 5781