Through the BTEC Business Studies course, we aim to provide students with the understanding needed to be successful members of the business community. To be successful in business, students will have to become confident in being enterprising, independent positive communicators as well as balanced risk takers. The nature of the topics taught will introduce students to some of the skills needed to do this
We aim to ensure that all students have:
- An appreciation and understanding of what enterprise is and the different types of enterprise.
- An appreciation and understanding of the importance of finance and how to interpret accurately business finance documents.
- An appreciation and understanding of how products are promoted , the product lifecycle and other general principles of marketing.
An appreciation and understanding of the importance of the recruitment and selection of the right employees for the job.
Key Stage 4
In year 10 students look at:
- Unit 1 Enterprise in the business world.
- Unit 2 Finance in business.
Topics in these units will include work on entrepreneurs, what makes a successful business, forms of business ownership and growth. Students will also look at business financial documents, how they are used and their interpretation.
In year 11 students will look at:
- Unit 3 Promoting a brand.
- Unit 4 Recruitment and selection in business.
Topics in these units will include work on the marketing mix, product life cycle, branding, advertising, recruitment, interviews and application forms.
Each unit makes up 25% of the total mark for the award. Unit 2 Finance in business is externally assessed. The other units are assessed based on student coursework during each unit.
Mr Tom Campbell
Mr Alpesh Modi
Teacher of Business Studies