Health and Social Care
Health and Social Care is a vocational qualification for Key Stage Four students that is ideal for those considering working within the health care or childcare sector in the future. During this two year course, students are taught a variety of skills, ranging from how to communicate effectively in care settings to providing basic first aid treatment for a range of injuries. Completing an OCR Cambridge National Level 2 in Health and Social Care will offer students the opportunity to progress onto a Level 3 course or AS/A-Level Health and Social Care.
Year 10 Curriculum
This qualification consists of four units, each worth 25% of the final grade. The first two units covered in Year 10 are R022 and R021. These units are assessed internally through coursework and with a one hour written exam in June, respectively.
· R022: This unit involves the different types of communication skills that care practitioners’ use, the reasons why they are important, and the personal qualities that are necessary for positive communication to take place.
· R021: This unit provides an introduction to equality, diversity and rights which are issues that affect workers in health, social care and early years settings on a daily basis, and the current legislation that protects the rights of care workers and service users.
Year 11 Curriculum
The final two units covered in Year 11 are R028 and R031, and are both assessed internally through coursework.
· R028: This unit involves understanding the key milestones of a young child’s development from the ages of 0-5, and how to promote their safety within an early years setting.
· R031: This unit provides knowledge of basic first aid procedures, how to assess the scene of an accident and how to provide treatment for a range of injuries. Students will also have the opportunity to gain a qualified first aider certificate from St John Ambulance.
***In line with the current Coronavirus Risk Assessment we are unfortunately unable to offer our usual wide range of extra-curricular activities across both the Fosse and Imperial Sites.***
We hope this becomes something that we are able to offer once again in the near future.
- St John’s ambulance first aid course
- Nursery tour for risk assessment
- Child care developmental opportunities.