Health and Social Care
Health and Social Care is a vocational qualification that is ideal for those considering working within the health care or childcare sector in the future. During this two-year course, students are taught a variety of skills; ranging from how to communicate effectively in care settings to creating health promotions. Completing an OCR Cambridge National Level 2 in Health and Social Care will offer students the opportunity to progress onto a Level 3 course.
Year 10 Curriculum
This qualification consists of three units, each coursework unit is worth 30% and the exam unit is worth 40%. The first two units covered in Year 10 are R033 and R035. These units are assessed internally through coursework.
- R033 – This unit is about supporting individuals through life events. Students will be looking at the different life stages and how individuals can be supported through a variety of different life events. They will look at how different factors can influence health and social care needs. Students will finally look at sources of support that people can access to gain support.
- R035 – This unit is about health promotion campaigns. In this unit students will look at what it means to be healthy, what the barriers are for some people who may not have a healthy lifestyle which will then lead to students planning their own individual health promotion campaign.
Year 11 Curriculum
The final unit covered in Year 11 are R032, and are is assessed externally through an exam.
- R032 – This unit is about principles of care in health, social care and early years settings. This units will involve students looking at the different rights that people have in HSC settings and the benefits it has on people when their values of care are maintained. They will also look at what effective communication is like in HSC settings and the impacts that this can have. Finally, students will look at safeguarding and keeping people safe though such things as hygiene and security measures
- Support for the completion of coursework
- Interviews of chosen person for study